- Website: there was a problem with the theme, we are in process of fixing that.
- (Could they be thought of as a little like post offices?) – there is a kind of centralised structure but without power.
- Thinking of finalising the structure so that we can expand?
- Some infrastructural rules allow the services to function and they are all connected. We need rules to know how to deal with each other.
- MoC will propose projects, we begin with some that were in progress with david. Eg A for all.
- Adrien Bowyer will come to visit us on Dec 4th
- Should we send the reprap to rojava/ chiapas?
- Plus mission statement update. – https://pad.riseup.net/p/MoC_Residencies_Mission_Statement
- Anthropology for All and how it fits with VA, books etc:
- What is a museum – book – was conversations between David and Boris Groys. Museum as hospital, museum as prison, museum as …
- Visual Assembly:
- This was a project with Nika and David – with ‘in real life’, and online elements combined.
- Can be used to reassemble the way that we run our communities.
- People are truly free when they have the possibility to change the rules of public life
- An unexpected piece of public art is left behind
- Auto pdf generator could be an inspiration: https://extinctionrebellion.fr/vizgen/#/ for http://a4kids.org
- Presentation of Visual Assembly by Charlie Whaterhouse
- also this from David, a reflection on the first VA earlier in 2020 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqoulrutRSk&feature=youtu.be
- A presentation on the NHS workers planning Visual Assembly
- Testing out the VA concept in a healthcare setting. In UK.
- Health workers had been told not to make any political associations. (April, 2020 UK). Thinking to make something that could also work in a school, other public structures…
- A collaborative expression of care – to communicate and think differently.
- What is healthcare? Decades of these conditions of neoliberalism can result in us living in pandemics, destruction of ecosystems and the degradation of social services and healthcare services.
- The organisers asked themselves, can people thrive in clinical environments? So the focus began with a flower..
- Can zoom offer anonymity for the worker?
- Online can be exposing as well.
- Reading group:
- what will it be about and how will it work?
- Looking at the museum concept, looking to establish one of the rooms as a non physical space – looking at the relationship between David’s work and activism and other types of work he inspired. What would a Graeberian institution be, or do. Would it be more like a think tank, or a do tank, or a research institution? What strategies?
- Would we take a text and try to decode it?
- As an academic are you only set up to create abstractions from what you look at?
- How the V-A and reading groups can help you to engage with reality?
An extra note: Pauline Olivieros was mentioned – a musician who writes things that can be participated in by non musicians… how could the residencies help us to make music?
NEXT FRIDAY: Instead of meeting, we’ll visit London School of Economics’ reading group on David’s “Direct Action: an Ethnography”: https://www.facebook.com/events/370025947395718/
Then our next meet will be on Dec 4th – we will have a reading group so what to read?
We will invite other guests, beginning with Adrian Bowyer